Chestnuts are very versatile when it comes to cooking. Thanks to their texture and their particular flavor, they are ideal for preparing sweet and savory dishes. In addition, they are full of beneficial nutrients for the body. Do you want to learn how to make 4 delicious chestnut-based recipes ? Then keep reading this article.
Chestnuts are a very popular dry fruit in the fall. However, they can be purchased at any time of the year.
They are an important source of Vitamin E, antioxidants, potassium, healthy fats, and other essential nutrients for a healthy diet. Let’s see together 4 delicious recipes based on chestnuts.
4 delicious recipes based on chestnuts
Chestnut recipes are ideal for vegetarians or people looking to follow a healthier diet.
This dried fruit is perfect for making cakes, creams, desserts and many other recipes. Do you want ideas? Here are some of them!
1. Roasted or toasted chestnuts
The most traditional way of eating chestnuts is roasted or toasted. We can thus add them to pasta, rice, smoothies or sauces. This is the simplest recipe to make and will serve as the basis for many dried fruit preparations.
- Chestnuts (the amount you prefer).
- Salt (optional).
- Before roasting or toasting chestnuts, make a horizontal cut to make them cook better.
- After that, preheat the oven to 180 ° C or use a hot pan.
- If you choose to use the oven, cook for about 25 minutes.
- Then, wrap in a cloth and gently shake to remove the skin.
- Finally, if you like, sprinkle some salt.
2. Chestnut jam
Are you looking for a new and different ingredient for your breakfast or snack? Then don’t miss these 4 delicious chestnut recipes.
In this case we propose to make chestnut jam, ideal to spread on bread, crackers or crepes, among others. It can also be used in some savory dishes.
- 10 chestnuts.
- 3 cups of sugar (750 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml).
- First, make a horizontal cut in the chestnuts and boil them for 10 minutes.
- Then, peel well and mince.
- Then, dissolve the sugar in the water, over medium heat, for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir constantly so that no lumps form.
- Add the chestnut puree and a little vanilla to the syrup.
- Leave everything to simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you think the mixture is too thick, add more syrup or a little more water.
3. Chestnut-based recipes: chestnut and apple omelette
The chestnut and apple omelette takes a little longer than the previous two recipes. However, the end result is well worth it.
It is a delicious alternative to enjoy for snacks or on a special occasion.
- 1 cup of chestnut flour (200 g)
- 1 cup of chopped almonds (200 g)
- 1/2 cup of raisins (100 g)
- 4 tablespoons of honey (60 g).
- 4 apples.
- 1 cup of milk (250 ml).
- An egg.
- 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds (7 g)
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (40 ml).
- A pinch of salt.
- To start, soak the raisins for 30 minutes. Then, drain well.
- Peel and cut the apples.
- Separately, in a thick-bottomed pan, toast the flour for 10 minutes (over low heat) and pass it into a deep bowl.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients, including raisins, poppy seeds, nutmeg, and salt.
- Finally, transfer the mixture into a greased cake mold and bake it in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 40 minutes.
4. Crepes with chestnut cream and yogurt
One of the chestnut-based recipes that your children will surely like is that of crepes with chestnut cream and yogurt. Although its calorie content is a bit high, it can be prepared occasionally for a snack or breakfast.
- 1 cup of chestnuts (200 g)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (100 g)
- 1/2 peeled and chopped apple.
- Water (to taste).
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (3.5 g)
- Creamy yogurt (100 ml).
- First, you will need to make a horizontal cut in the chestnuts and put them in a steam saucepan with a little water. Cook for a couple of minutes and remove the skin.
- When they are ready, cut them into pieces.
- Then, put the peeled chestnuts in the previously used saucepan and add sugar, apple, water and cinnamon.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes at maximum power.
- Then, mince until a homogeneous cream is obtained. You can keep the dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- The last step will be to season each of the crepes in half. Pour the mixture, fold and decorate with a little creamy yogurt.
Chestnuts contain proteins, healthy fats and antioxidants that are excellent for the body. Their calorie content varies depending on the recipe with which you will prepare them. Always try to moderate portions so as not to exceed calories. Enjoy your meal!