Night cramps, or muscle spasms, are a very common complaint among people and usually appear suddenly for a few seconds or minutes. It is, in fact, involuntary contractions of one or several muscles, almost always of the legs and sometimes also of other joints.
They usually appear at night, interrupting sleep and reducing the quality of rest due to the discomfort they generate. They are related to excess physical activity, loss of fluids and minerals, as well as age-related changes.
However, they can also appear because you have remained in the same position for a long time or because you have made an unusual movement. In any case, it is a very annoying problem that can compromise the quality of life if you do not pay the necessary attention.
Fortunately, there are various natural remedies that help keep the problem of nocturnal cramps under control and thus avoid suffering frequently and the problems that this could cause. Take note!
1. Beetroot and apple smoothie to avoid night cramps
The beetroot and apple smoothie is a healthy drink with a high content of essential minerals that benefit muscle health.
It is very suitable for those who practice sports or for people who perform high intensity physical activity. It is also a diuretic and anti-inflammatory remedy, excellent against water retention and circulatory problems.
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- 1 beetroot
- ½ glass of water (100 ml)
- Extract the juice of all the ingredients and then put them in the blender.
- Drink an hour or two before going to bed.
2. Infusion of ginkgo biloba
The diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties of the ginkgo biloba infusion make this remedy a natural relaxant to prevent and fight night cramps.
- 3 tablespoons of ginkgo biloba (30 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- Boil a cup of water and add the tablespoons of ginkgo biloba.
- Cook over low heat for about three minutes and remove from heat.
- Let it rest until it reaches a bearable temperature, filter and drink.
- Take one or two cups a day.
3. Beverage based on honey and apple cider vinegar
Blood pH imbalances affect the recurrence of nocturnal muscle spasms. They prevent the correct distribution of minerals and, in turn, damage the oxygenation of the muscles.
The drink based on honey and apple cider vinegar has alkalizing substances that help to achieve a balance during these processes.
- tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
What needs to be done?
- Dilute a tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water.
- Drink one cup during the day and another before bedtime.
4. Remedy based on milk, honey and lemon
The combination of milk, honey and lemon results in a relaxing remedy to prevent the onset of nocturnal cramps. Its properties, in fact, help to reduce muscle tension and, moreover, induce deep sleep.
- glass of milk (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (5 ml)
- Heat the milk and mix with the spoonful of honey and lemon juice.
- Let it rest and, once it has reached a bearable temperature, drink it before going to sleep.
5. Nettle tea
Nettle tea is a drink that promotes the elimination of liquids retained in the body’s tissues. Therefore, its regular consumption relaxes the muscles, reduces inflammation and prevents annoying spasms.
- 2 tablespoons of dried nettle (20 g)
- 1 liter of water
- Pour the dried nettle leaves into a liter of water and bring to a boil, cooking for about five minutes.
- After letting it rest for a while, filter and take it up to three times a day.
6. Massages with horse chestnut
Horse chestnut is a very popular product as it is capable of improving circulation, relaxing the legs and reducing contractions. In this case we use its extracts with a little olive oil to make a therapeutic massage.
- 5 drops of horse chestnut extract
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (16 g)
- Combine both ingredients and use them to make gentle circular massages on the legs.
- You can make them as a preventive method before going to sleep or when the first annoyances arise.
Remember that, in addition to using these remedies, you must also try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, following a balanced diet and carrying out a daily exercise routine.