Uric acid is a molecule that the body produces after breaking down substances called purines. Reducing uric acid levels is easier if you are following a proper diet.
Among the foods that include purines, we find:
- Red meat
In general, the body is able to dissolve uric acid in the blood and then it reaches the kidneys and eliminates it completely in the urine.
Despite this, some people are unable to eliminate it sufficiently because their body produces this substance in greater quantities. In these cases, various ailments can arise, such as:
- Continuous and intense inflammation of the toes and hands, causing severe pain.
- Crystallization of uric acid, which forms stones that accumulate in the kidneys.
- Alteration of urine pH, which also promotes a greater amount of kidney stones.
Thankfully, with proper nutrition, uric acid levels can be regulated.
In this article we will give you the solutions for a healthy diet.
1. Uric acid and artichokes
Artichokes are the best option for reducing and balancing uric acid levels. In fact, they have a large amount of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, as well as being rich in fiber and proteins.
Thanks to their diuretic properties, artichokes will help you eliminate uric acid, along with other toxins, through the urine.
The best way to consume artichokes to enjoy all these properties is as follows:
Ingredients and preparation
- Use ½ kilo of artichokes (15 units).
- Wash the artichokes before cooking them.
- Put them in a pot with 1 liter of water.
- Cook for at least 40 minutes.
- Season to taste.
In addition to eating the artichokes, we can also drink the cooking water.
2. Onions cannot be missing
Onions have numerous medicinal uses and, like artichokes, are great for reducing blood uric acid levels.
Ingredients and preparation
- Peel 2 onions (about 300g) and divide them in half.
- Put them in a saucepan with half a liter of water and cook until they are well cooked and soft.
- Finally, pour the cooking water into a bottle, add the juice of a lemon and let it rest.
This mixture should be drunk throughout the day. Onions can be used to make other recipes.
3. The pumpkin
It is a diuretic food that will naturally eliminate any excess uric acid.
This delicious and nutritious food can be prepared in the oven, in a pan or boiled, it will always offer all its properties to our body.
These delicious fruits are great for our health in case of an excessive build up of uric acid.
Apples eliminate the toxins present in excess in our body in the healthiest and most natural way possible
Like pumpkin, apples can be cooked, boiled or baked and, of course, eaten plain.
Celery is known for its purifying effects that allow you to regulate the levels of uric acid in the blood favoring its elimination. We can take it raw, cooked or as we like best, since it will still keep its properties intact.
6. The chicken
Just as red meat raises uric acid levels, chicken lowers them easily. Likewise, eggs can also be easily included in one’s diet.
Carrots should not be missing in the diet of people with high levels of uric acid, as they favor the elimination of this substance.
You can eat them raw, boiled, baked or in smoothies, they will provide you with the benefits you need in any case.
8. Water is essential
Water must be present in any diet and diet, whether or not you have excessive uric acid levels. You need to drink at least 2 liters a day.
Drinking enough water will allow you to produce more urine and eliminate toxins from your body more easily.
Some extra tips
If you want to keep your uric acid levels under control, it is important to remember the following recommendations:
- Don’t eat too much fruit, as it will turn into purines that your body won’t be able to metabolize.
- Cook all foods to perfection. This way, you will ingest less purines.
- In addition to drinking two liters of water a day, try to take infusions or juices as well.
- Avoid fasting and moderating meals throughout the day.
- Consuming seaweed and nuts will allow you to regulate your uric acid levels.
- Try to take at least 1 gram of calcium per day to avoid pain and arthritis.
- Moderate or eliminate salt.
- Eliminate alcohol entirely.
By following all these tips, you will be able to regulate your uric acid levels and lead a normal and completely healthy life.