Many know the multiple benefits of a citrus fruit like lemon, but almost always half of its goodness is wasted, namely the zest. Traditionally, many of us are used to using only lemon juice, both for culinary and medicinal purposes.
However, very often we ignore the numerous healing properties possessed by the peel, which contains 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the juice.
What are the benefits of lemon zest?
- In the lemon peel there are very important medicinal substances such as its essential oil, lemongrass, phellandrena, vitamin C, citric acid, malic acid, formic acid, hesperidin and pectins.
- Among its properties, lemon zest is a powerful purifier of the body; therefore, it also has a rejuvenating effect.
- It fights abdominal bloating, also reducing intestinal gas.
- It helps purify the liver thanks to its detoxifying effects, which stimulate the elimination of toxic substances and waste.
- Promotes digestion and prevents constipation problems.
- Thanks to its high content of vitamin C and other vitamins, it strengthens the immune system. In this way, it helps prevent infections, flu, colds and breathing problems.
- Promotes blood alkalinity.
- Helps reduce high blood pressure levels .
- Fights nervousness.
- It is antiseptic.
- Eliminates excess fat in the skin thanks to its astringent properties.
- Helps whiten skin and tooth stains.
- It has a powerful anticarcinogenic effect that could help in the fight against malignant tumors.
Lemon zest as an anticarcinogen
Recent studies have shown that lemon peel has very powerful substances that could be very effective in fighting cancer cells. Its detoxifying effects and the large amount of nutrients it possesses may be the reason for the benefits against some types of cancer.
A recently published study revealed that lemon zest extract was found to destroy malignant cells in 12 types of cancer, including breast, prostate, and colon cancers.
The most surprising thing is that lemon zest has no side effects on the body, unlike many drugs to treat cancer.
How to enjoy the benefits of lemon zest?
Lemon zest is often used only for desserts and other culinary recipes that call for this distinctive bitter touch. However, having in mind the multiple benefits of lemon zest, you can start including it more frequently in your diet by following these tips:
- Wash the lemon very well and grate the zest or blend it and then include it in soups, salads, juices, sauces, rice, fish dishes, etc.
- When you want to drink a good lemonade, opt to blend the lemon with the zest. In this way, you will enjoy 100% of the benefits of this precious citrus fruit. The flavor will be slightly altered, but it will be just as delicious and very refreshing.
- Use lemon zest to add a special touch to your whiskey, wine or vodka-based cocktails.
Lemon peel tea
Lemon peel tea is another excellent option to enjoy all the benefits of lemon. This tea is ideal for detoxifying the body, eliminating toxins and fighting free radicals.
These, in fact, accumulate in the body as a consequence of pollution, chemicals, cigarette smoke or poor nutrition. It is also an antibacterial and antimicrobial, and prevents colds thanks to its high content of vitamin C.
- 1 liter of water.
- The zest and juice of 2 lemons.
- Honey or stevia.
How to prepare it?
- First of all, you have to put the liter of water on high heat together with the zest of the two lemons. Let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Once this time has elapsed, remove from the heat and add the juice of the two lemons.
- Finally, you can sweeten it with a little honey or stevia.
Lemon tea can be drunk cold or hot after any meal, except for breakfast. In this case, it is best to take it first, on an empty stomach.