Urticaria is a frequent dermatological problem, characterized by the appearance of reddish, large and itchy spots. In this article, we share some natural remedies to calm hives.
Drug treatment of urticaria usually consists of applying corticosteroid ointments or antihistamines.
However, the use of these medicines is limited in time, so it is possible to consider natural remedies, specifically exploiting the soothing properties of some plants.
Below we see the causes of this disorder and how to calm the ‘ hives with 3 natural remedies. Take note!
What is hives?
Urticaria is a dermatological condition characterized by skin lesions due to contact with allergens which, depending on the severity, can last up to 6 weeks or more.
Urticaria is a heterogeneous group of diseases that have localized or widespread lesions, called wheals. The wheal usually consists of a central edematous area, of variable size, almost always surrounded by a reddish peripheral area, and is characterized by its rapid appearance.
What are the causes
- The first is an allergic reaction to a food, medicine such as penicillin or compounds such as sodium nitrite, found in sausages and processed meats.
- The second is due to cold, heat, sweating, rubbing or contact with the skin and physical activity. Although it can also be due to viral infections
- In many cases, hives appear with no apparent cause. Stress or bad habits can be the triggers.
Treatment of urticaria
There is a large variety of conventional medications for the treatment of this ailment ; from ointments and gels to tablets with specific components, such as corticosteroids or antihistamines.
However, sometimes the body raises defenses that make us immune to the components of these drugs reducing their effect.
Natural remedies can therefore be considered a valid alternative, even if their effectiveness takes longer.
If the urticaria does not subside, you will need to consult a doctor and use these remedies only as a complement to therapy.
Calm hives with 3 natural remedies
1. Consumption of vitamin C
Most doctors recommend the consumption of vitamin C to contain and treat the wheals that accompany ailments such as hives, due to the high levels of histamine present in this compound.
Orange is one of the fruits with the highest content of this vitamin. Make yourself a concentrated juice and drink it in the morning and in the afternoon. You just have to cut the oranges (you will need 2 large ones) in half, remove the seeds and squeeze all the juice.
In addition to citrus fruits, other fruits are also capable of providing high amounts of vitamin C, such as strawberries, guava, papaya or kiwi.
2. Basil tea bath
Among the herbs to calm hives we find basil. It is one of the most used spices in cooking. However, non-traditional oriental medicine claims that the basil tea bath is an excellent antidote for hives.
Why? Because it accelerates the disappearance of wheals and gives a feeling of freshness to the skin. To prepare this remedy, you will need:
- 4 heaping tablespoons of basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of basil powder
- 1 bottle of water (preferably 1 liter)
- Pour the spoonful of basil powder into a container with a lid.
- Close and shake well until the contents dissolve.
- Pour the water into a saucepan, put it on the stove over medium heat and when it starts to boil, add the basil leaves.
- Mix well so that the leaves release the components. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add it all to the already full tub and take a nice bath with the basil tea. Pay particular attention to the affected areas.
3. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the ingredients we normally use to dress our salads. But did you know that it also contains antihistamine properties that reduce the redness, itching and burning of the skin?
To calm hives, you need to apply it as a compress using a clean cloth to be moistened with vinegar. Place the cloth on the affected area and let it act for at least 15 minutes. If the area is very large and irritated, it is advisable to apply vinegar directly to the skin.
Try or share these tips for relieving hives with your loved ones.