Water is an indispensable substance for life. In fact, most of the organisms on Earth are made up of water in greater or lesser proportions. In the case of humans, the body needs water because this liquid represents more than 60% of the organism, meaning that more than half of our body is made of water.
When the body lacks water and is not properly hydrated, it deteriorates quickly and this can even lead to death. But how to tell if the body needs water ?
How long can a person live without drinking water?
While many will not believe it, there have been cases of people who survived up to 90 days without eating anything, while those who drank no liquid lasted no more than 5 days.
It is estimated that the life limit of a person who does not drink any amount of water or other liquids is 4 days.
What is the amount of water we should drink each day?
In general, experts recommend drinking 2 liters of water per day, 6 to 8 glasses. However, to know the exact amount of water our body needs to stay hydrated and function properly, we must keep in mind that we recommend a liter of water for every 25 kg of weight.
How to understand if our body needs water?
Although very often we think that our body is well hydrated and that everything is working in the right way, there are certain symptoms that could indicate a principle of dehydration and that we need to consume more water.
High temperatures, diseases, the accumulation of toxins, among many factors, can increase the risk of dehydration and trigger various health problems and, consequently, reduce the quality of life. Symptoms that indicate dehydration include:
- Swollen eyes
- Dry mouth
- Dark-colored, strong-smelling urine
- Pain when urinating
- Constant feeling of thirst
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Feeling confused and tired
- Increased risk of falls
- Urinary tract infections
- Formations of kidney stones
- Muscle spasms
- Difficulty in breathing
- Headache and migraine
- Dental problems
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Absence of tearing when crying
- Decrease in the amount of urine
How to prevent dehydration if our body needs water?
To prevent dehydration, it is essential to drink at least 2 liters of water per day or the recommended amount based on each person’s weight.
Sportspeople must considerably increase their water consumption depending on the physical activity performed and its duration, in fact they need to replenish the fluids they lose during training.
What to do if our body needs water?
If after learning to recognize the symptoms of dehydration you have realized that your body needs water, the ideal is to start hydrating yourself with a good amount of water every day.
You should drink the water moderately and slowly, because if you drink too much in one gulp, it could trigger negative health effects. You can also opt for natural juices, fruits and vegetables with a high water content to properly hydrate the body.
If your symptoms are severe, it is important to see your doctor as you will need to hydrate your body intravenously.
What are the benefits of daily water consumption?
In addition to providing the correct hydration to the body, daily water consumption brings more health benefits than you can imagine. Among the advantages that derive from drinking water every day we remember:
- Helps you lose weight : water has zero calories and can be used as a substitute for any sugar-rich drink or juice. A good amount of water helps to increase the feeling of satiety, eliminates toxins and accelerates the metabolism. The consumption of water, therefore, is essential in diets to lose weight.
- Increase energy : the consumption of water prevents dehydration and helps to maintain the energy needed to face everyday life.
- Improve Heart Health : Daily water consumption significantly reduces the risk of a heart attack. The consumption of water, therefore, is an easy and inexpensive method of prevention to take care of the heart.
- Improves Digestion : The digestive system needs a good amount of water to complete the digestion process. Drinking water every day helps reduce stomach acid and constipation problems.
- For a young and healthy looking skin : the consumption of water prevents premature aging and all its marks on the skin. Water helps maintain skin tone and collagen, while also preserving its softness, radiance and youth.