Did you know that dental amalgam is mainly made of mercury and that this heavy metal is toxic to our health? Did you know that it is prohibited in some states as it is a health hazard?
In this article we explain everything you need to know about dental amalgam : what it is, how it affects our health and the possibilities at your disposal to eliminate it.
What is dental amalgam?
Dental amalgam is a silver colored material that combines various metals, mainly mercury.
It is used by odontologists to fill cavities that form as a result of caries.
Nowadays it is customary to use other types of materials in most countries, as several studies have shown the toxicity of mercury both for the person undergoing the treatment and for the person who performs it.
There is also an ecological trend aimed at increasingly reducing the use of any product made with mercury, given its negative impact on the planet.
Since 2008 its use has been prohibited in countries such as Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
A dental amalgam contains between 120 and 570 mg of mercury.
This gets rid of over time as a consequence of salivation, gastric acidity and food, high temperatures, etc.
The vapors generated by mercury are absorbed by the body day after day, throughout life, and are great sources of ongoing toxicity.
It should also be remembered that exposure to mercury can also be due to contact with products that contain it, such as some thermometers, light bulbs, cosmetics, skin creams, paints.
Studies have also revealed that some large bluefish contain mercury.
This is the case of tuna, swordfish and salmon, which should be consumed in small quantities and rarely.
Health risks of dental amalgam
One of the greatest health risks of mercury is that a major part of this heavy metal accumulates in the brain and remains there for several years.
This causes progressive neuro-degeneration, related to diseases such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s.
Another major problem with mercury is that it is able to cross the placental barrier.
It can reach the central nervous system of the fetus during pregnancy.
Mercury also accumulates in the gastrointestinal tract, oral cavity, lungs, thyroid and pituitary glands.
Can dental amalgam be removed?
When people learn that dental amalgam in their mouth can be really dangerous due to mercury, they all ask the same question: can it be eliminated to avoid serious health problems?
These are mainly people who suffer from health problems with no apparent cause.
The answer is yes, it can be removed, but the process must be done following a very restrictive protocol.
If not, it is best to leave the filling where it is.
If the operation is not carried out properly, both the patient and the dentist will be exposed to an important amount of mercury, which can be even more dangerous to health.
You will need to consult a professional who specializes in dental amalgam extraction and make sure that the following aspects are taken into account during the process:
- Adequate isolation of the entire oral cavity in order not to ingest amalgam remains
- Eye protection
- Oxygen mask
- Working with low temperatures
- Remove the amalgam block and quickly
- New good quality dough material
Treatment with chlorella algae
Both for those who are currently exposed to mercury and for those who have been, we recommend a treatment with the most effective natural remedy to eliminate heavy metals from the body: chlorella algae.
This seaweed has a huge detoxifying effect against all kinds of harmful substances, not just heavy metals, thanks to its high chlorophyll content.
However, cilantro, garlic and magnesium will also help.
Image courtesy of brillenschlange y Da Sal.