The tomato sauce is achieved by a very common vegetable that hides, however, some amazing health properties. Some studies have shown its ability to prevent certain types of cancer thanks to its lycopene content.
Find out in this article why we should consume homemade tomato sauce every day to prevent and improve many health problems.
What are lycopenes?
Lycopenes are the reddish (but also purple and orange) pigments present in vegetables and fruit. Among the foods from which we can get them are:
- Red pepper
- Pink grapefruit
This nutritional principle is a carotenoid that our body cannot synthesize and that we can only find in foods of plant origin.
Therefore, the only way to get it is through the consumption of vegetables that contain it.
- Once our body ingests it, within half an hour it is absorbed by the intestine and is deposited in the liver, testicles, prostate and adrenal glands.
- Lycopenes have a high antioxidant power, a function that helps us fight the damage caused by free radicals that causes cellular aging.
Tomato or tomato sauce?
Tomato is one of the richest foods in lycopene. However, what is most interesting is that we can find a very high concentration of lycopenes also in other types of tomato-based products.
Proportions of lycopene per 100 g:
- Raw tomato: 2,573 μg
- Ketchup : 17.716 μg
- Tomato sauce: 28.764 μg
- Dried tomatoes: 45.900 μg
Benefits for health
The consumption of vegetables rich in lycopene brings many benefits to our health:
As we indicated at the beginning, there are studies that show that the lycopenes present in tomatoes could help significantly in preventing certain types of cancer, in particular those of the prostate, lungs and stomach.
Positive results have also been shown in cancers of the pancreas, colon and rectum, esophagus, oral cavity and breast.
Furthermore, the daily consumption of tomatoes brings many other health benefits, among them a great help for our cardiovascular system, thanks to its ability to improve cell activity and the use of fats for their combustion.
In this way we will be able to reduce the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood.
Lycopenes have the virtue of keeping blood pressure under control without damaging it, as they help to thin the blood. They are therefore ideal for hypertensive people.
In the case of people suffering from diabetes, the habitual consumption of tomatoes and other red vegetables improves the use of glucose in our body.
It also promotes insulin function and prevents some symptoms caused by diabetes, such as:
- The diabetic foot
- Intermittent claudication
Lycopenes, therefore, are very beneficial for the treatment and prevention of diabetes.
The best way to consume tomato
As mentioned, tomato concentrates are the best way to obtain large quantities of lycopene.
However, these antioxidants are not always absorbed in the same way, but it depends on which foods include them and what other nutrients accompany them.
Their absorption improves considerably if we ingest them together with good quality fats and at a warm temperature.
For this reason, the most effective and healthy way to benefit from these properties is through a homemade tomato sauce made with extra virgin olive oil and a little warm.
We can turn it into an even healthier sauce if we add a touch of black pepper and turmeric. In this way we will have an excellent remedy for all types of inflammation and pain.
- 10 ecological ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder (4 g)
- 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar (7 g)
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt (12 g)
What needs to be done?
- First we grind the garlic and fry it for a minute.
- Then we pass the tomatoes, season them and add the spices.
- We put together the sautéed garlic and tomatoes in a saucepan and cook for about 15 minutes.
- To take full advantage of its benefits, we will consume the hot sauce.