A wrap is a variant of the burrito, a typical dish of Mexican cuisine, It is usually prepared with a base of flour tortilla. However, nowadays we can find numerous variations, particularly suitable for those who want to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in the diet. For this reason, we present 3 lettuce wraps.
To prepare lettuce wraps , we can draw inspiration from various typically oriental foods, such as yabrak, sarma or dolma (made with vine leaves or savoy cabbage). Nevertheless, the filling is mainly composed of vegetables, vegetables and fruit; in some cases, legumes can also be added to increase the nutritional value of the recipes.
Wrap of lettuce, fruit and vegetables
1. Wrap of lettuce, avocado, peppers and onion
- White onion
- Green pepper
- Romaine lettuce)
- Optional: quinoa
- Seasoning: salt, pepper and olive oil
- If you decide to enrich the recipe with quinoa, the first thing you need to do is prepare it. Remember that for every cup of quinoa you need one cup of water.
- Julienne the avocado and pepper and onion into rings.
- Wash and drain the lettuce leaves well. Once ready, pour over some olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Put the remaining ingredients in the center of the wrap and roll up.
2. Lettuce wrap with tomato, cucumber, carrot and hummus
- Sweet corn
- Lemon juice
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Seasonings: sea salt and black pepper
- Wash and drain the lettuce leaves, then rinse the tomatoes.
- Put a spoonful of hummus on the lettuce and add a few drops of lemon. Subsequently, season to taste.
- Peel the garlic and chop it, then sprinkle it on the previous mixture.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them on the hummus. Separately, finely slice the cucumber.
- Add a tablespoon of sweet corn (or two, if it seems too little).
- Before rolling, add a few more drops of lemon juice and voilà! The dish is ready.
Note: We remind you that you can replace hummus with Greek yogurt.
3. Spinach and goat cheese mini-wrap
The recipe that we present below is easy to make and will not take you more than 10 minutes. If you want to make a quick snack, this is undoubtedly the best option. However, you can also use mini-wraps as an appetizer or side dish. Remember not to overfill the leaves to be able to roll them up better.
You will notice that the quantities needed to make this recipe are not specified. This is because they vary according to the number of diners and the type of food you will serve. It is not the same to prepare a dish for one person as it is for three or four.
To conclude, remember that you must never overdo the filling; it is better to use a little and then add more than to serve a dish that is too heavy.
- Spinach leaves
- Goat cheese
- Seasoning: black pepper
- Optional: grated apple, honey
- Wash and drain the spinach leaves.
- Separately, season the goat cheese with a little black pepper. If you want, you can add some honey.
- Take the spinach leaves and start placing the cheese on each of them, with the help of a teaspoon. Place the filling exactly in the center so that it does not come out when the wraps are ready. If you decide to add grated apple as well, pour a teaspoon (or less) into each roll.
- To prevent them from opening, you can stick them with a toothpick.
Lettuce, fruit and vegetable wraps can be eaten cold at any time of the day. It is a light option, easy to prepare and perfect for those who don’t have much cooking skills or don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
The secret is to prepare a balanced filling and not add too much, thus avoiding that it comes out at the first bite and makes the diners uncomfortable. This doesn’t mean you can’t add more filling if you like: it’s a simple tip to enjoy this dish to the fullest.