Has this ever happened to you? Follow a strict diet for three months, are preparing for a special event or simply want to improve your physical appearance and lose the extra pounds. You finally succeed!
Can you reach your ideal weight. However, after just one week, the fat reappears.
Why is this process so common? Was there something wrong with the diet? Maybe yes and therefore we want to explain in this article the most common causes that make the lost pounds regain when we least expect it.
1. Skipping meals regains lost pounds
Here is a simple example to understand the problem immediately. Imagine your friend decides to lose weight fast just before summer.
He follows his personal diet, which consists of skipping dinners, eating little for breakfast and nibbling what he wants during the day, then arriving home and not eating anything.
This means that it goes between 10 and 12 hours without eating, which puts the body in a “state of alert”, a condition that leads it to consume any available energy reserves.
However, when your friend returns to normal, the opposite happens.
It will quickly recover lost energy reserves to fill that unexpected gap and prevent a similar situation that the body identifies as an emergency.
This means that your friend’s method is not healthy at all. You can’t just stop eating overnight or just eat two meals a day.
This is identified as a threat to which our brain has to react.
2. The danger of low calorie diets
In this case, we have the example of those super restrictive diets which, even if they respect 5 meals a day, involve a dietary and nutritional imbalance that is very dangerous for the body.
These are above all those diets according to which it is necessary to consume less than 1200 kcal per day and which recommend consuming almost exclusively carbohydrates or a type of protein.
It is a very harmful diet for health.
Usually, these diets are adhered to for several weeks, but once the ideal weight is reached, it is abandoned and the lost pounds reappear as if by magic when we ingest any type of calorie, even if in small quantities.
- These strict diets lower glycogen levels, so our body tends to look for this element in other sources. Do you know where it gets it from? From muscles and cartilage. It can obtain the energy it needs from these areas of the body and, to do so, it releases a large amount of water, mineral salts and toxic substances derived from metabolism, such as urea and uric acid.
- When the so-called “miraculous diet” comes to an end, the pounds lost are due to the consumption of glycogen present in the liver, muscles and ligaments and for having lost water and essential minerals for the body. This lack means that, as soon as you return to a normal diet, the tissues “rehydrate” quickly and accumulate fat and calories. That’s why after a very short time the pounds reappear.
3. The need to supplement the diet with healthy lifestyle habits
If a diet has worked well, why abandon it? We often tend to gain weight because we have wrong and harmful eating habits for health.
As you already know, the consumption of fats, sweets or convenience foods causes problems with high cholesterol, hypertension and very dangerous heart disease.
For this reason, the best advice for not regaining the lost pounds is to adopt the diet that works day after day.
Every now and then you can treat yourself to a cake or a slice of cake, if you then go out for a walk to burn the calories ingested.
Usually when you want to lose weight, it is always a good idea to consult a nutritionist.
Sometimes certain foods are not good for you or some combinations are not healthy for your health. The first thing to do is, of course, to listen and understand your body.
The moment you ingest something that is good for you, improves your health and helps you lose weight, you need to include it in your daily diet.
4. Change some habits
It happens very often. One of the most frequent causes that makes you regain the lost pounds is to change habits or that something happens in your life that makes you gain weight again.
Some examples? For sure you already know some of these cases:
- You have just lost a few pounds, but your work shifts change, which also changes your lifestyle and, after a short time, you gain weight again.
- Having problems with your partner.
- Being anxious about problems at home, at work, etc.
- You have lost weight for the costume fitting, but in the summer you relax, go out with friends or go to parties and regain all the lost kilos.