Parsley is that delicate aromatic plant with an intense fragrance, which is often present in the kitchens of various countries. This plant is native to the Mediterranean and is also consumed in various eastern areas.
Parsley has an intense flavor and belongs to the same botanical family as umbellifers, which includes coriander, dill, celery and carrot.
We can enjoy its benefits in different ways, adding it to infusions, salads or as an accompaniment to our dressings, risottos or meat dishes. The flavor it gives to all our dishes is undoubtedly very characteristic.
If you haven’t already included it in your diet, we encourage you to do so today. We give you 5 good reasons to start eating parsley immediately.
1. Parsley takes care of bone health
One thing not everyone knows is that a vitamin K deficiency is associated with an increased risk of bone fractures.
In our diet we are always careful to take the right amounts of phosphorus, calcium, vitamin C or vitamins of the B complex. But do we ever worry about including foods rich in vitamin K in our dishes?
Regular consumption of parsley provides an adequate level of vitamin K, which is ideal for improving bone health as it acts as a bone matrix protein modifier. At the same time, it improves the absorption of calcium and reduces its elimination via the urine.
Getting used to always buying fresh and natural food guarantees our health and well-being.
Start adding this precious ingredient to your meals, fish, vegetables and natural juices today.
2. Helps regulate blood sugar levels
Parsley is rich in a very particular type of flavonoid called myricetin. This element helps us regulate blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps us regulate blood fat levels.
Thanks to these properties, we not only fight the onset of diabetes, but we also take care of our cardiovascular health as we reduce inflammation of the arteries.
Therefore, prepare infusions based on parsley and lemon after your meals.
3. Excellent ally for kidney health
Parsley is one of the most used plants to take care of kidney health.
- It is diuretic and stimulates kidney function so that they can perform their essential functions of purification and detoxification of the organism much better.
- In turn, it is interesting to remember that, thanks to its potassium content, parsley helps us to regulate arterial hypertension.
On the other hand, and in case there is a tendency to suffer from kidney stones, the daily consumption of parsley is not recommended, due to its high content of oxalic acid.
4. Suitable for anemia or fatigue
Parsley can turn into a very useful element to integrate into our diet in case of deficit, anemia or if we go through one of those periods in which we feel more tired due to stress.
- Always remember that it provides us with more nutrients raw.
- Parsley is rich in vitamin A, B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 or folic acid and K).
Furthermore, as regards its minerals, we can obtain an interesting supply of potassium, calcium, zinc, phosphorus, iron and magnesium.
5. Strengthens the immune system
Instead of resorting to the classic vitamin supplements sold in pharmacies, we should always opt for healthier and more natural solutions such as taking foods rich in vitamins.
Parsley is a plant that cannot be missing in our kitchen and that can help us strengthen our immune response thanks to its high content of vitamin C.
On the other hand, it is equally interesting to know that this plant contains a chemical compound called apigenin.
Although in herbal medicine it is said to be a useful element in preventing and treating cancer, there are no studies that support this hypothesis. What we know for sure, however, is that it is a powerful antioxidant capable of fighting multiple viruses and bacteria.
Take fresh parsley by adding it to your soups, salads or creams. Its benefits are worth this little daily effort.
How to take parsley every day
- When you prepare the omelette, add some parsley.
- Use it to dress your salads.
- Add it to your soups.
- Use it when cooking fish.
- Combine it with the tomato sauce to make delicious pizzas or salads.
- Try a parsley-based infusion.
- Also try the fruit-based smoothies with parsley.
As we have seen, therefore, we can take this natural plant in many ways.
However, remember that if you suffer from kidney stones or if you are pregnant, it is advisable to moderate your consumption.