Proteins are nutrients that we find in food, along with carbohydrates and lipids.
They are essential for the human body, as they have the task of structuring the formation, development and renewal of all organs and systems of the body.
What are they made of? They contain carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, as well as minerals (sulfur, phosphorus and iron).
When ingested, they break down into structured units, which are amino acids that the system absorbs during the digestion process.
Types of amino acids
There are 20 types of amino acids and thanks to them proteins are formed. Nine of them are obtained from food, while the others are produced by the body without any need to be ingested.
- Essentials: found in food. Among them histidine, leucine, methionine and valine.
- Non-essential: we can obtain them from essential amino acids, such as alanine, arginine, glycine and proline.
Why is protein good for you?
- They promote the repair of skin tissues, muscles, organs, nails, hair and bones.
- They generate antibodies in the immune system that prevent infections and diseases.
- They improve digestion.
- They promote the distribution of oxygen in the blood.
- They form the DNA structure.
- They keep sugar levels in check.
- A high protein diet helps you lose weight.
- They regulate body heat.
- They maintain a long-term feeling of satiety.
Foods belonging to the protein group
- Legumes and dried fruit
- Dairy product
Here are the recipes that allow you to increase the amount of protein in your body:
Chickpea and rice salad
- 3 cups of chickpeas (450 g)
- ¼ cup of brown rice (50 g)
- 2 tablespoons of raisins (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons of walnuts (20 g)
- 3 cups of spinach (100 g)
- 1 orange
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil (90 g)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (20 ml)
- Salt (to taste)
- First, cook the rice and chickpeas separately in boiling water.
- Add the salt and cook for about 18 minutes.
- Then drain the rice.
- Drain the chickpeas as well.
- Peel and cut the orange into small pieces.
- Mix the rice with the chickpeas and add the walnuts and raisins.
- Then add the spinach and orange as well.
- Finally, season with the vinegar and olive oil.
Soy soup with vegetables
- 1 cup of green soy (200 g)
- 1 cup of soft beans (200 g)
- 2 potatoes
- 1 courgette
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 cups of water (1500 ml)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil (60 g)
- Salt (to taste)
- To begin, wash the soy well and peel the beans.
- Next, cut the onion into small squares and pour the olive oil into a pan.
- Fry the onion and, once golden, add the broad beans.
- Next, add the soy and cover the mixture with water.
- Keep on a low heat for about 35 minutes.
- Add the potato after peeling and cutting it into small squares.
- Cut the zucchini, add it to the previous preparation and keep another 15 minutes more on the fire.
- Make a sauté with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic cloves.
- Finally, add the sauté and season with salt to taste.
- 4 cups of milk (1 liter)
- The zest of one lemon
- 2 sprigs of cinnamon
- 1 cup of rice (200 g)
- ½ cup of sugar (100 g)
- First, heat some milk with the lemon zest and the two cinnamon sticks.
- Then leave on medium heat, until the milk comes to a boil.
- While it is boiling, wash the rice.
- Then drain and pour the rice.
- Keep it at medium temperature and let it cook for about an hour.
- It is important to mix so that it does not stick.
- Then remove the lemon zest and cinnamon branches.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- The more physical activity you do, the more protein you will need to ingest.
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages.
- Ingest large amounts of water every day.
- Get 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Eat foods rich in water.
- If you consume protein in smoothies, do it moderately to avoid liver and kidney damage.
- Don’t forget that smoothies are no substitute for meals.
So, are you ready to consume all the protein you need?