Some natural juices contain ingredients that can help relieve the symptoms of stomach ulcers. However, due to the complexity of the disorder they cannot replace medical treatment and, therefore, should only be used in milder cases.
It is important to note that there are no studies confirming that these juices can relieve stomach ulcers . However, due to the nutritional properties of its ingredients, they seem to help improve the state of the gastric mucosa. Do you want to try them?
What are stomach ulcers?
Gastric or duodenal ulcers are a lesion or erosion of the membrane that covers the stomach. Although the stomach protects itself from its own secretions, suffering from some injury allows acids and enzymes to alter the tissues causing a hole in the wall of the duodenum.
This condition can manifest itself for various causes and the symptoms are different depending on the area in which it develops and the age of the patient.
For example, peptic ulcers do not have any symptoms and most patients do not notice the problem. Conversely, duodenal ulcers cause constant pain and burning that lead to seeking adequate treatment.
In this case it is important to seek medical assistance, as treatment can vary depending on the cause. First, the doctor will need to order a series of tests in order to make the diagnosis. In case of infection, antibiotics may also be needed.
Drugs that block or reduce acid production and promote healing may also be prescribed. In addition, in some cases, cytoprotectors will be administered to protect the tissues that cover the stomach and small intestine.
The latter include drugs such as sucralfate and misoprostol.
Relieve stomach ulcers with 5 natural smoothies
Juices to relieve stomach ulcers can be considered a complement to the treatment, as long as the doctor obviously agrees. These drinks combine foods whose nutrients help in the recovery phase, such as vitamins A and C, vegetable proteins and minerals.
As reported by a research published in Arquivos Brasileiros de Cirurgia Digestiva , nutritional therapy is essential to reduce the treatment time of the peptic ulcer. In particular, it is important that patients eat a balanced diet rich in nutrients such as:
- Vitamins A, B and C
However, according to this same publication, the ideal is that gastric ulcer patients receive a personalized diet, as their nutritional needs may vary based on other factors. Despite this, there are foods that can generally be useful.
Therefore, we offer you several recipes to prepare natural juices that combine beneficial ingredients for this problem, providing an extra supply of nutrients. Do you want to try them?
1. Green cabbage and celery smoothie
Green cabbage is one of the foods that can most help relieve the symptoms of gastric ulcer. Its content of chlorophyll, fiber and antioxidants helps to recover the tissue and promotes the elimination of excess substances that accumulate in the stomach.
- ½ green cabbage
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 glasses of water (400 ml)
- First of all, wash and cut the green cabbage into pieces.
- Then, cut the celery the same way.
- Then, put everything in the blender along with the two glasses of water and blend for about a couple of minutes.
- Finally, drink without filtering.
Note: Avoid drinking this smoothie on an empty stomach, as it can make the situation worse.
2. Potato juice
Anecdotal data suggests that drinking small amounts of potato juice can relieve symptoms of ulcers, such as heartburn. However, these are effects not yet proven by science. If you want to try it, we still leave you the recipe.
- 1 potato
- 1 tablespoon of honey (15 g)
- Wash, peel and extract the juice from the potato; then mix it with the honey spoon.
- Take a couple of tablespoons of the mixture.
3. Relieve stomach ulcers with the white cabbage smoothie
Cabbage juice contains antioxidants that are useful in cases of ulcers. This publication in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition states that, specifically, it contains substances such as kaempferol, quercetin and apigenin.
- 1 white cabbage (200 g)
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- Wash the white cabbage well and put it in the blender with the glass of water.
- Blend for a few moments and drink it as soon as it is done.
4. Banana and papaya smoothie
Both banana and papaya contain dietary fiber which contributes to digestive health. Papaya, in particular, contains an enzyme called papain, whose activity promotes the healing of inflammatory gastric problems.
- 1 banana
- A slice of papaya
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- Peel and cut the banana into pieces.
- Cut a slice of papaya, remove the seeds and cut it into small pieces.
- Put everything in the blender together with the glass of water and blend until you get a homogeneous mix.
5. Relieve stomach ulcers with the carrot smoothie
Finally, we can prepare this carrot and celery juice, rich in vitamins A, C and minerals. As mentioned, these nutrients are involved in the treatment of ulcers.
- 4 carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- ½ glass of water (100 ml)
- Wash the carrots and celery well and remove the smoothie.
- If you prefer a less thick smoothie, add more water.
What is there to remember about the 5 natural smoothies to relieve stomach ulcers?
First of all, we must not forget that the consumption of these smoothies must be accompanied by a balanced diet, moderate in fat content, free of sugars and irritating foods. Furthermore, they should always be considered only a complement. Therefore, in case of severe symptoms, it is best to contact your doctor.