There are many people who experience periods or situations of sadness and despondency, depression or melancholy, which they cannot overcome without the help of drugs.
However, most people prefer to avoid drug treatments as much as possible as they come with side effects and a risk of addiction.
In this article we give you 8 basic tips to improve your mood naturally thanks to some good habits that will help you to feel joy and desire to live again and free yourself from sadness and despair .
1. Foods to relieve sadness and despondency
Did you know that there are foods that have antidepressant virtues thanks to their nutritional values? They contain fatty acids, vitamins and minerals that help us to naturally regulate the nervous system.
It is important to take them regularly, as some nutritional deficits can be related to states of sadness and depression.
We recommend that you include the following foods in your usual diet:
- Green leafy vegetables.
- Legumes: chickpeas and black beans.
- Nuts: walnuts, almonds and pine nuts.
- Sunflower and flax seeds.
2. Play sports every week
Sport doesn’t just help you stay fit, lose weight or build muscle. It is also essential to enjoy a positive state of mind, especially for people who have a very sedentary routine.
After engaging in medium-intensity physical activity, we secrete serotonin, known as the happiness hormone, which makes us feel joy and well-being.
3. Take refuge in nature
The life of urban environments has made us move away from nature, which has balancing effects on our organism.
Contact with the earth or the sea, the sun’s rays, the smell of wet earth, the colors of the mountain, etc. All these elements give us serenity and harmony, as well as being necessary for the people who live in the city.
At least one weekend getaway is essential to combat sadness and recharge for the whole week.
4. Discover chromotherapy
The colors we dress and surround ourselves with have therapeutic functions on our body. In fact, when we choose one color or the other, we do it according to our mood.
We avoid black, gray and brown shades and opt for the following:
- Green: very balancing, it produces effects similar to those resulting from nature.
- Lilac: spiritual and relaxing, suitable for states of meditation.
- Blue: very relaxing, suitable when our sadness is related to states of stress.
- Orange: color full of energy, which brings us joy and vitality, as well as stimulating our creativity.
- Red: energy and passion, ideal to use without exceeding, as it could provoke states of anger.
5. Benefit from antidepressant flavors
Aromas also affect our nervous system. In order to use them for therapeutic purposes, we recommend the essential oils with which we can perfume ourselves or which we can dilute in aromatic diffusers.
Essential oils that possess antidepressant properties are:
- Citrus fruits.
6. Use Bach flowers
Bach flowers are a natural therapy that can help us balance emotions, but without running the risk of addiction, contraindications or side effects.
Below we describe the most common:
- Wild oat: when it is difficult for us to find a goal or meaning in our life.
- Mustard (mustard): depression of which we do not know the cause.
- Gentian (field gentian): depression caused by external factors that we know.
- Sweet chestnut: for anguished states with a tendency to cry.
- Star of Behetlem (hen’s milk): after a period of mourning.
- Wild rose (wild rose or rosehip): helps us overcome apathy.
- Gorse (gorse): for people with a lot of mistrust and pessimism.
7. Direct your gaze well
Did you know that the movements we make with our eyes also affect the nervous system?
Always looking down leads us into depressive states, while looking up promotes optimism and well-being.
So, remember to look up more often and you will greatly improve your mood and vision.
8. Show gratitude
Furthermore, one of the best tips we can give to overcome sadness and despair is to propose again to be better people, try to give more than receive, show ourselves grateful to everyone.
In conclusion, striving every day to be a little better will make us feel better about ourselves and enter the circle of positivity.