The month of January, just after the Christmas holidays, is the perfect time to balance the excesses of the holiday binges. We can therefore start the year with some natural remedies that facilitate the purifying function of the liver, such as milk thistle.
Discover the medicinal properties of milk thistle : it promotes liver regeneration and balances the digestive system.
The excesses of Christmas
Eating and drinking in excessive quantities is never good for you. In the short term it causes digestive discomfort, bloating, heaviness, fatigue or irritability.
It can also worsen the state of some diseases we already suffer from.
However, the long-term consequences are usually only serious if these excesses are constant, since they can cause chronic ailments.
These diseases worsen our quality of life and make us dependent on treatments or drugs for life.
The one after Christmas is a perfect time to compensate for excesses with a good diet and adequate natural remedies.
Two purifications a year
If we want to stay healthy and free of toxins, we need to cleanse the body two or three times a year.
- The best times are during seasonal changes, but we can also do it when we ourselves feel the need to improve some ailments, to lose weight or to improve our general health.
- There are many types of cleansing treatments that are based on foods and plants with detoxifying properties.
- They have the function of facilitating the work of the liver, kidneys, lungs or intestines to eliminate these toxic substances from our body.
Below we will talk about milk thistle, a medicinal plant with a high purifying power, an excellent remedy to recover after Christmas.
The milk thistle
Milk thistle, common name of Silybum marianum , is a medicinal plant that has been used for more than 2000 years. It is native to the countries of the Mediterranean and Asia, as well as India and Siberia.
Its seeds extract its active ingredient, silymarin, also available as a supplement.
Silymarin is rich in flavonolignans and is known for its high detoxifying power and for its ability to promote the regeneration of liver tissue.
In this way it helps us to regenerate the liver in case of hepatitis, fatty liver or cirrhosis, as well as minimizing the effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in cases of cancer.
Does milk thistle regenerate the liver?
Milk thistle is distinguished by one characteristic: it is able to regenerate the liver, the only organ that has this ability.
This is crucial for our health, especially if we suffer from liver disease.
This organ is vital, however it is one of those that suffers the most from the consequences of many factors : pollution, stress, poor diet, toxic habits, drugs, etc.
Properties for health
Milk thistle has the following properties for health:
- It is effective in cases of lithiasis (stones in the kidneys and gallbladder).
- Powerful natural anti-inflammatory.
- Excellent antioxidant that protects us from damage caused by free radicals.
- It protects cardiovascular health and reduces cholesterol levels.
- Fights the flu and colds.
- Reduces blood sugar levels. It is useful in cases of type 2 diabetes.
- It soothes headaches and menstrual discomfort.
- Improves the function of the kidneys in case of kidney failure.
- It prevents constipation.
- Increases the production of breast milk during breastfeeding.
- Prevents liver damage caused by medicines, antibiotics or anti-inflammatories.
How should it be taken?
We can take milk thistle for medicinal purposes in several ways:
- Milk thistle extract
- Silymarin concentrate
- Infusion of thistle seeds
In some cases we can find milk thistle combined with other ingredients with purifying properties, such as:
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a very beneficial spice for liver function.
- Dandelion: purifies toxins that accumulate in the kidneys and liver.
- Boldo: Helps liver and gallbladder health and improves digestion.
- Burdock: detoxifies the body, improves kidney health and cleanses impurities from the skin.
We recommend that you always consult a health professional before performing any treatment.