How much attention do you pay to the back of your body? Due to the location, it is difficult to see it, so it is not uncommon to accidentally discover that you have the dreaded varicose veins. This also happens with the front of the legs, have you noticed?
If you have noticed that varicose veins are becoming a problem, try these natural remedies to get rid of them.
What are varicose veins?
Before talking about the natural remedies to eliminate varicose veins, it is important to know that the latter are dilated capillaries usually red or blue in color. They can appear in a very small area or be present in large portions.
Due to these characteristics, they are similar to cobwebs. They usually appear on the sides of the legs and calves, but you may also find some on the face.
They normally do not have any symptoms and do not pose a serious health risk. However, when they are very large, they can cause itching and burning.
What are the causes of varicose veins?
The appearance of varicose veins largely depends on genetic predisposition, but steps can be taken to reduce the chances of developing them. The factors to keep under control are:
- Overweight and lack of physical activity.
- Taking oral contraceptives.
- History of blood clots.
- Wearing clothes that are too tight.
- Circulation problems.
With this list in mind, you may already have a general idea of natural remedies to say goodbye to varicose veins. In any case, we present them to you.
1. Low intensity exercise that improves circulation in the legs
Maintaining proper leg circulation with easy exercises is the first and simplest of the natural remedies to forget about varicose veins. This is possible by performing low-intensity exercises every day. If you don’t know where to start, try:
- Go for a walk with your dog in the morning and another in the afternoon.
- Do 25 minutes of exercise bike a day.
- Perform household chores that require you to stand and walk.
- Go up and down two flights of stairs in the morning and in the evening.
In addition to avoiding varicose veins, these exercises will help you stay healthy for many years.
2. Wear compression stockings
The second of the natural remedies to combat varicose veins is perfect if they are already a visible problem.
Compression stockings improve circulation by maintaining the natural shape of the legs and supporting them. You can find them in high, low and medium compression in any large supermarket. To choose the ones that best suit your needs, take the following considerations:
- Low compression: they are ideal for very small and few varicose veins. These stockings are very similar to the standard tights used every day. You can wear them for a couple of hours or all day, as you like.
- Medium compression: we recommend wearing them if varicose veins are visible, but not too extensive. Keep them for at least 6 hours, especially when you are standing or do not need to do a lot of physical activity.
- High compression: these stockings are indicated for those who have very evident varicose veins and notice bruises that appear without bumps. It is advisable wear them as long as possible during the day.
You may feel some discomfort in the first few days, especially with high compression. If you prefer, you could start using them for a couple of hours and increase the time each week until you feel comfortable.
To purchase these stockings, no medical prescription is required and their maintenance is the same as that of conventional stockings: they should preferably be washed by hand using a soap for delicates. Their price may be slightly above average, but these socks are designed to be more durable, so it’s worth it.
If you don’t want to buy socks, but want to get the same effect, try wrapping your legs. This is a cheaper method, but less practical and comfortable.
3. Raise your legs
Another way to activate the circulation in the legs is to lift them for a few minutes.
To do this, you can:
- Lie on the bed and lean your legs against the wall or on two or three pillows
- Lie down on an armchair and rest your legs on the armrest
- Sit on the floor and place your feet on the seat of a chair.
It is important to keep the legs in this position for up to 20 minutes and then slowly lower them to avoid pain. You should never sleep all night in this position as lowering the legs may cause a painful sensation as the blood circulates downwards.
Try doing this exercise at least once a day. The ideal is to do this three times a day if the varicose veins are very large.
What do you think of these natural remedies for varicose veins? Put them into practice to have beautiful legs without blemishes.